Funeral Assistance through FEMA
Under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses incurred on or after January 20, 2020.
What you need to know about the FEMA COVID-19 reimbursement
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought overwhelming grief to many. At FEMA, our mission is to help people before, during and after disasters. We are dedicated to helping ease some of the financial stress and burden caused by the virus.
To be eligible for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance, you must meet these conditions:
- The death must have occurred in the United States.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses on or after January 20, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien.
- The death certificate must attribute the death toCOVID-19. If the death occurred between Jan. 20 and May 16, 2020, and the death certificate doesn’t attribute the death to COVID-19, you may submit assigned statement from the medical official who certified the death certificate, or the local coroner or medical examiner, linking the cause of death to COVID-19
- Transportation to identify the deceased individual
- The transfer of remains
- A burial plot or cremation niche
- A marker or headstone
- Clergy or officiant services
- The use of funeral home equipment or staff
- Cremation or interment costs
What information do I need to provide to FEMA?
- Please have the following information before contacting FEMA to apply:
- Your name, Social Security number, date of birth, mailing address and contact phone numbers.
- Name, Social Security number and date of birth for each deceased individual.
- Location or address where the individual died.
- Documentation and receipts for funeral assistance received from other sources, including burial or funeral insurance, donations, other government programs or non-profit organizations.
- The name and information of up to one co-applicant, if anyone besides you incurred funeral expenses for the deceased individual(s).
How do I apply for this assistance?
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET